Need assistance with a utility bill? Find below information about programs that provide assistance to low-income residents.

Utilities by Type of Service

Power Utilities

Seattle City Light

General phone number: (206) 684-3000

Phone number for outages and downed power lines: (206) 684-7400

Puget Sound Energy

General phone number: (888) 225-5773

Phone number for outages and downed power lines: (888) 225-5773

Water Utilities

View map to find out which water district serves your home.

Highline Water District

23828 30th Ave. S.
Kent, WA 98032
(206) 824-0375


The Highline Water District is located south of Seattle, WA and generally extends from just east of Interstate Highway 5 on the east to the Puget Sound on the west, and from State Route 518 on the north to South 284th Place on the south. The District lies within portions of the cities of Burien, Des Moines, Federal Way, Kent, Normandy Park, SeaTac, and Tukwila. Portions of the District are also within the limits of unincorporated King County.

Highline Water District District serves an estimated 68,500 people living and working in South King County. The District has 18,100 accounts representing residential homes, apartments, businesses, schools and more. The total area of the District is about 18 square miles and manages approximately 288 miles of water main.

King County Water District No. 20

12606 1st Ave. South
Burien, WA 98168-2617
(206) 243-3990


King County Water District 20 is a Special Purpose District responsible for over 100 miles of watermain serving approximately 9,200 residential and commercial customers in Burien and parts of Seatac, Tukwila, and Unincorporated King County. The District purchases water from the City of Seattle and is a member of the Saving Water Partnership, which includes Seattle Public Utilities and 18 other local utilities. The District is governed by a 3-member Board of Commissioners. Commissioners are elected by the citizens in the district and serve 6-year terms.

King County Water District No. 49 (Burien, North Normandy Park)

415 SW 153rd St
Burien, WA 98166 
(206) 242-8535


King County Water District No 49 is responsible for over 59 miles of water mains and over 4,100 service connections in parts of Burien and the northern portion of Normandy Park. King County Water District No.49 has seven employees and three commissioners govern the district.

King County Water District No. 125 (Riverton Heights)

3460 S 148th ST Suite 110
Tukwila, WA 98168
(206) 242-9547


King County Water District No. 125 serves nearly 3,200 customers in an area approximately three miles north of SeaTac Airport, within the cities of Burien, SeaTac and Tukwila, and parts of unincorporated King County. A three-member Board of Commissioners governs the District. The District has seven employees and an operating budget of nearly $2 million.

Seattle Public Utilities


Sewer Utilities

View map to find out which sewer district serves your home.


3030 S 240th St
Kent, WA 98032
(206) 824-4960


Southwest Suburban

431 Ambaum Blvd SW
Burien, WA 98166
(206) 244-9575


Valley View

3460 S 148th St, #1
Tukwila, WA 98168
(206) 242-3236


Waste Utilities

Garbage and Recycling

The City of Burien contracts withCleanScapes Inc.(Recology) to collect residential garbage and recycling, and business garbage. For a list of other recycling locations, visit the King County website.

Solid Waste

For information regarding solid waste and atypical waste items, please contact the King County Solid Waste Divisionat (206) 296-4466.

Disposal Ban

Effective October 1, 2005, King County no longer accepts certain electronics and mercury-containing products at its solid waste disposal facilities. These items contain toxic materials that are hazardous to human health. They also contain valuable materials that can be recycled in a way that protects human health and the environment. View the official  for complete details.

Need help with your utility bill?

There are a number of options available to qualified households.

Federal Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

If your main source of heat is electricity, gas, or heating oil, and you need help paying your utility bill during the winter season, call or schedule online:

Residents of South King County call 253-517-2263 or schedule online at mschelps.org

In addition to energy assistance, this federally funded program offers energy education, budget counseling, and weatherization services.

City of Burien Utility Tax Relief Program

The City of Burien offers an annual Utility Tax Relief Program for low-income Burien households. The program offers an annual reimbursement for the six percent utility taxes paid on telephone (not including cellular) and basic cable television. It also removes the six percent utility tax from your upcoming bills for gas and electricity provided by Puget Sound Energy, and solid waste removal (garbage) provided by Recology CleanScapes.

Applications are processed once a year and are due by mid-December.

Eligibility Requirements: 

  • Resident of Burien
  • Annual income under $31,650 for a single household, or $36,150 for a two-person household.

If you have any questions, please contact Lori Fleming, Management Analyst at 206-248-5518 or email at lorif@burienwa.gov.

Puget Sound Energy

Puget Sound Energy offers two programs: the HELP Program and Weatherization Assistance Program, administered by the Multi-Service Center and other agencies in partnership with PSE.

PSE HELP (Home Energy Lifeline Program) Program

This program provides qualified customers with additional bill-payment assistance beyond that offered by the federal LIHEAP program.

PSE Weatherization Assistance Program

This program provides free weatherization assistance to qualified customers to help reduce energy use and lower bills. This includes free upgrades to your home such as insulation, sealing air leaks, lighting, and refrigerator replacements.

Seattle City Light

Seattle City Light offers several assistance programs, including: Utility Discount Program, ELIA, Project SHARE, and HomeWise.

Utility Discount Program

The Utility Discount Program helps income qualified Seattle City Light customers lower their electric bills by 60 percent. Learn more: seattle.gov/light/assistance/.

Emergency Low Income Assistance (ELIA)

The Emergency Low Income Assistance (ELIA) program is for customers who have received an "Urgent" or "Shut-Off' notice on balances of $250 or more. If it is during the portion of the year that LIHEAP is operating, you are encouraged to apply for assistance from LIHEAP as well.

To participate, you need to first make the payment that is due to avoid disconnection, as well as payment arrangements on the remaining balance. Participants may receive up to $200. Assistance is limited to once every twelve months. If you need more information, please call (206) 684-3688 or email SCL_InfoELIA@seattle.gov.

Project SHARE

Project Share is funded by customers' donations, and is available to customers that have participated in LIHEAP and ELIA. Initially, it will pay up to $250 towards the customer's City Light bill. If the customer makes a payment within two weeks of referral or interview, Project Share will contribute a matching pledge of $1 for every $2 the customer pays, with $500 being the maximum amount available. For more information call (206) 684-3000.


Income qualified customers may also be eligible for HomeWise, the City of Seattle's weatherization program. Improvements like insulation and heating system replacement or repair, can help you save energy, lower heating and cooling costs, and save money on your bill. Call (206) 684-0244 or visit www.seattle.gov/housing/homewise.

More questions? Contact Colleen Brandt-Schluter, Human Services Manager at colleenb@burienwa.gov or 206-439-3166.

Find your utility district

Burien has several special service districts that provide utility services. Learn more about what utility district you are in and how to contact them.

View maps to find out which power, water, and other utilities serves your home.