This 5.3 acre neighborhood park is located two blocks south of the highest point in Burien
(463 feet). The northern edge is just 10 feet below that peak elevationl. It has a beautiful paved trail and playgrounds, and provides excellent opportunities to take advantage of views to Puget Sound, Mount Rainier
, and SeaTac Airport
The following history is an abridged text (for more, see the full document). However
readers are encouraged to check out a more extensive and very detailed history prepared by HistoryLink.org
Most of the land for this park was donated by Ted Mathison in 1999. On April 16, 2003, two sisters, Eleanor Carver Nelson and Dorothy C. Carver, donated a key parcel allowing the park to connect between South 146th and 148th Street. They gifted their property to the Burien Parks Department in memory of their grandfather, Herman Nickolas Peters, who homesteaded in Sunnydale in 1889. Continue on to learn more about Herman Peters.